Alimony – Spousal Support
Alimony, also commonly referred to as spousal support, is a financially supportive payment made from one spouse to another in the event of a divorce.
In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, the court may grant alimony to either party, which alimony may be rehabilitative or permanent in nature. In any award of alimony, the court may order periodic payments or payments in lump sum or both. The court may consider acts of adultery on the part of either spouse and the circumstances thereof in determining the amount of alimony, if any, to be awarded.
As a law firm providing experienced Alimony Attorney – Lawyerlegal services, assisting Kissimmee, St. Cloud, and Osceola County Florida area residents with Alimony, Spousal Support, or other Family Law legal issues, we are committed to protecting the legal rights of each and every client, while always striving to provide the highest standard of legal representation. Contact Kathy D. Sheive Attorney at Law by calling 407-624-5993 or by using our online submission form.
When determining a proper award of alimony or maintenance, the court may consider all relevant economic factors, including but not limited to:
- The standard of living established during the marriage
- The duration of the marriage
- The age and the physical and emotional condition of each party
- The financial resources of each party, the non-marital and the marital assets and liabilities distributed to each
- When applicable, the time necessary for either party to acquire sufficient education or training to enable such party to find appropriate employment
- The contribution of each party to the marriage, including, but not limited to, services rendered in homemaking, child care, education, and career building of the other party
- All sources of income available to either party, and
- any other factor necessary to do equity and justice between the parties
If you have questions, concerns, or legal needs regarding Alimony, Spousal Support, or other Family Lawissues, we urge you to seek the legal advice of an experienced Kissimmee alimony attorney – lawyer at Kathy D. Sheive Attorney at Law by calling 407-624-5993 to schedule a confidential legal consultation.
If the court determines it necessary to protect an award of alimony, the court may order the one paying alimony to purchase or maintain a life insurance policy or a bond, or to otherwise secure such alimony award with any other assets which may be suitable for the purpose of securing the court ordered alimony payments.
If either parties financial standing or other relevant factors significantly change, either party may petition the court to seek an increase or decrease in the amount of alimony to be paid, or to have the alimony – spousal support payments terminated. This is considered a post judgment alimony modification.
A modification to court ordered alimony may also be negotiated through mediation, and if agreed upon by both parties, the alimony modification must still be made official by asking the court to agree and sign-off on the alimony modification agreement.
If you require professional legal services regarding Alimony, Spousal Support, or other Family Lawissues, be proactive in protecting your legal rights by seeking the legal advice of an experienced Kissimmee alimony attorney – lawyer. Contact Kathy D. Sheive Attorney at Law by calling 407-624-5993 or by using our online submission form.