There are steps to take after your Florida divorce is finalized

| Jul 12, 2019 | Divorce

Anyone who hasn’t ever gotten divorced before would assume that a divorce is over and done with once a judge signs off on their final order. While that helps you get closer to reclaiming your life, there are a few things that you still need to do after a Florida judge signs off on your divorce decree.

First, you should contact the clerk of court to obtain a certified copy of your divorce decree. You should then take it to the Social Security Administration (SSA), your employer and your insurance company to update your name. You should also visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and your county’s titling authority to do the same. You should update your mailing address with all of them as well.

You should also head to the bank to remove your ex off any joint accounts that you once shared. You should close any credit cards that were once in both of your names. You should then open one in yours. This will help build your creditworthiness. It’s important that you change any banking or other online account passwords, so your ex can’t access your accounts.

If you’ve been ordered to pay spousal or child support, then you should set up to have it automatically deducted from your paycheck. If you’re receiving either one of these, then you should provide your ex with your account information so that they know where to send payments to.

You should also review the qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) in your case. You should make contact with any pension plans and investment companies to make sure that they have a copy of it and that they’ll execute it.

It’s important that you contact your health insurance company to notify them of your divorce. You should inquire about bridge-the-gap coverage. You should also revisit any beneficiaries to your will and on insurance policies as well.

Husbands and wives are often so eager to get their divorces over with that they fail to address all the different matters as thoroughly as they would have hoped to. Spouses who are seeking post-judgment modifications should consult with a divorce attorney who will guide them in requesting changes to their court order here in Kissimmee.

Contact Us Today Our Goal is to Simply the Process

FindLaw Network