How do I get my child support payments?

| Jul 31, 2015 | Firm News

There are a couple different ways in which you can receive your child support payments. One of the most popular is by direct deposit into a checking or savings account. This allows you to transfer the funds between your accounts, use it with your bank’s online bill pay feature or take advantage of having it deposited into an interest-bearing account.

Florida also allows those receiving child support payments to have them loaded onto a Florida Debit MasterCard. This card works the same as a regular debit card and allows you to use your child support funds to make payments anywhere that MasterCard is accepted. As with direct deposit, the funds are usually available within two business days after they have been applied to your account.

If you opt for the Florida Debit MasterCard, it’s important to be aware of the fees that may be involved. If you use the card at an ATM to withdraw cash, there will be a $0.95 free, and some ATMs may charge additional service fees beyond that amount. To avoid fees, you can get cash back on purchases at grocery stores that allow this option.

As long as the payments are being sent into the child support agency, your payments should appear on your chosen method of payment on a regular basis. However, there are many situations in which the paying parent quits working or is otherwise without employment, and the payments will stop. If this happens, it’s important to contact both the child support agency and a family law attorney who can help you understand the possible options to enforce the support order.

Source: Florida Department of Revenue, “Child Support Payment Information,” accessed July 31, 2015

Contact Us Today Our Goal is to Simply the Process

FindLaw Network